Pages

May 18, 2012

I'm not the only one who screams in frustration...yay!

Today isn't a particularly hot day.

The rainy season has slowly been encroaching on summer, so I decided to venture beyond the "house walls" to work.

I'm perched on our outdoor bench, now amongst the "outside world." 

I hear the roaring of car engines passing by, bells from an ice-cream cart beckoning to children, and noise from my neighbor.

Why mention that latter?

The house next to me is having some familial crisis - at least that's what it sounds like judging from the way the kids are crying. 

I can't hear what the mom is saying exactly because her voice is being drowned out by sobs. Wild sobs that sound as if the kids are pleading for their lives.

(Disclaimer: This is just an expression - the kids don't sound like they're in danger at all)

What I can hear, though, is the mom speaking in a gentle and calm manner.

But as I sit here, the cries begin escalating and right about when my ears can't seem to stand the sharp high-pitched sounds, the mom screams.

Not a shriek as one would use after winning 7 million bucks, but a forceful, frustrated release of words that sound like gravel.

I suppose whatever the kids did, coupled with their crying, are too much for the mom.

And no, I don't think she's a bad mother for screaming.

I wish she hadn't done that, but completely understand why she did.

Actually, hearing her scream made me feel good--

At least I know I'm not the only one who does it.

Oh, don't roll your eyes at me! You know how kids can get... and sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you just lose it.

The lesson here?

It's normal to lose control. Lord knows how much I've tried to keep calm; sometimes I'm able to but other times...well, you get the picture.

What's important is how we handle ourselves after losing it. 

What about you? What do you do after snapping at your child, friend, sister, or brother?

(You may leave an anonymous comment, if you'd like)